Estimated studying time: 6 minutes
Recent rhubarb custard bars are simple to make with a thick butter cookie base and topped with shredded coconut and sliced almonds.
Attempt my new rhubarb custard bars if you would like one thing to do with the rhubarb crops you’ve been choosing.
You’ll be able to freeze them for as much as three months or refrigerate them for as much as one week.
I like how easy they’re to make in a pinch after we deliver a dessert to a cocktail party or bbq in the summertime.
You need to use frozen rhubarb for this recipe for those who can’t discover it recent.
Backyard Full Of Rhubarb
Rising rhubarb for the previous 16 years has been joyful as our one plant is at all times bountiful.
Nothing compares to homegrown rhubarb, and it’ll prevent a fortune because it’s expensive on the grocery retailer.
Though I like uncooked rhubarb because it’s good for digestion, I warning in opposition to overeating.
The antioxidants in rhubarb gained’t simply defend in opposition to persistent illness; they’ll make you look youthful too!
The vitamins help collagen manufacturing for firmer, brighter pores and skin.
9 Rhubarb Advantages You Want To Know
Harvesting rhubarb is straightforward. I lower the bottom of every rib and discarded the leaf because it was toxic.
Don’t compost it.
Different Rhubarb Recipes I’ve Made
Through the years, I’ve made many rhubarb recipes, a lot of that are highly regarded on the weblog.
Rhubarb is a kind of components that you just both love or hate.
I prefer to dip uncooked rhubarb in granulated sugar to style a mixture of tart and sweetness.
That’s how my Mum allow us to eat it after we pulled it from our backyard within the UK.
Though making rhubarb custard bars is nothing new to me as a result of Mum made them many occasions.
How To Make Rhubarb Custard Bars
Making these rhubarb custard bars is straightforward; for those who don’t have a meals processor, use a mixing bowl.
The components will come collectively properly for the bottom for those who combine them with a wood spoon.
I used the intense pink juice from my pickled beets to color the rhubarb because the pure color fades each time baked.
I added just a few tablespoons of the juice to a bowl and blended it with the sliced rhubarb.
Any extra juice within the bowl was discarded as I didn’t need it added to the custard.
You should not have to do that step as it’s purely for aesthetic causes.
The bottom is much like a butter cookie or shortbread, and I might eat it alone; it’s good.
As soon as the bottom is within the oven baking for 12 minutes, I put together the custard filling combination.
You don’t have to attend till the bottom is cooled earlier than pouring the creamy custard layer.
Pull the bottom from the oven, and evenly pour the egg custard combination excessive.
I sprinkled unsweetened coconut and sliced almonds on prime, however that’s non-obligatory.
You’ll be able to go away it as is or add any topping you’d like.
Put the rhubarb custard bars again within the oven to bake till golden, 45 minutes.
I made the bars in an aluminum foil 8×8 pan that I purchased from the Greenback Retailer.
We needed to go to a picnic so it was simple to move this fashion and I might go away it there.
As soon as we arrived, I lower the bars, however you may as well lower them forward of time.
Cowl with tin foil solely after the rhubarb custard bars are cooled, then refrigerate, freeze, or transport them.
- PREP TIME 20 minutes
- COOK TIME 45 minutes
- ADDITIONAL TIME 1 hour
- TOTAL TIME 2 hours 5 minutes
- Aluminum Foil 8×8 baking pan
- Parchment Paper
- Cooking Spray or Butter
Substances For Custard Rhubarb Bars
- Preheat the oven to 350 levels.
- Add all-purpose flour, salt, granulated sugar, and softened butter in a meals processor.
- Pulse till the dough comes collectively and one minute.
- Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper and spray the edges with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
- Pour the butter cookie base into the pan and press down with a spatula smoothing the dough evenly.
- Bake within the oven for 12 minutes.
Filling For Rhubarb Custard Bars
- Wash and chop recent rhubarb thinly. Add 1/3 cup of pickled beet juice to color the rhubarb, sit for five minutes, after which drain and rinse with chilly water.
- Add the eggs, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and all-purpose flour in a mixing bowl.
- Pour the rhubarb filling over the nice and cozy crust and sprinkle with unsweetened coconut and sliced almonds.
- Bake for an additional 45 minutes or till golden brown.
- Take away from the oven, let cool for 1 hour, after which slice into 12 bars.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar when cooled and prime with sliced strawberries. (non-obligatory)
- Retailer within the fridge for as much as 1 week or the freezer for 3 months.
The almonds and unsweetened coconut topping is non-obligatory.
Use any 8×8 baking pan or a disposable pan for easy travelling to events, gatherings, or picnics.
I soaked the rhubarb in a 1/4 cup of pickled beet juice to spice up the pink color.
You don’t style the pickled beet within the rhubarb custard bars.